Thursday, May 28, 2009

I am so gym-challenged...


On my first day at the gym working out with my marathon-running friend Kristen, who by the way is in really great shape and quite impressive, I fell off the treadmill.

Oh and not gracefully by any stretch of the imagination. I was doing intervals and was on the 2 minute run interval when I started to get really winded and tired. You know when you're driving late at night and you start telling yourself, "I can just close my eyes for one second and feel so much better and it will all be okay as long as it's just one second." Well, I closed my eyes and it worked. Suddenly it got a lot easier and I felt like I was floating on a cloud, except that a second later I was running into the occupied elyptical machine behind me. I had thrown myself off and to make matters worse my brain was so foggy that I frantically tried to crawl back on. Not a good plan because the machine was still going at a running pace. People around me were saying let go, just get off, but it took a few seconds for my brain to function and for me to just let go. I have some pretty bad road rash on my legs, but other then that I'm fine. Bruised ego excluded.

Kristen is so good at training though, she made me get back on the machine and I did one more mile after that.

How embarrassing!!!

I'm going to keep at it though, and hopefully this will never happen again. Thanks Kristen for not laughing off your bum at my expense and continuing to let me work out with you even though I am obviously so gym-challenged.

Lesson learned- No matter what, never and I mean never, close your eyes while on the treadmill.

2 comments:

  1. Omigosh, Tami. You are too funny! I love it. I've been thinking about joining LA fitness.. I am so out of shape though. You have encouraged me, maybe after the move. I used to be dance, and I seriously miss old me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what it's all about Thias. Taking back ownership of your own body and losing the fear of failure and embarassment. It's actually been quite freeing for me.

    ReplyDelete