Sunday, May 31, 2009

Oh Jared...


So I think the personal trainer hated me. Or at least really didn't like me. Here's how it went down on Friday...


8:05- Arrive at gym 5 minutes late(I got there on time, but if you refer to my last post about parking and pack mule status you'll understand what happened.) Jared(the pretty trainer) is waiting at the front desk for me and visibly annoyed that I am late and still have to drop off rug rats(I'm guessing that's what he's thinking by mild look of disdain).



Strike One


8:15- Finally sitting down to talk with Jared about my fitness goals. He really seems frustrated that it has taken so long because evidently he's a very busy guy. Hey, I thought it was pretty impressive that I was able to drop off and sign in two kids at daycare, unload my gear in the locker room, go and recheck that I had indeed locked my car in the craziness of it all and get back to Jared's desk in a paltry 10 minutes. Jared is clearly not so impressed.


8:20- Uh-Oh... Just let on to Jared my obsession with cheeseburgers and my refusal to drink protein shakes. Do you blame me... I only get so many calories in a day... forgive me for wanting to chew them.



Strike Two



8:30- Finally beginning my work out with Jared. He's taking me to the treadmill, oh goody. Try to lighten the mood with my falling off the treadmill story. Clearly he does not think I'm funny, but rather stupid and a bit pathetic(once again I'm guessing this is what he is thinking due to continued looks of disdain).



8:40- Fun times- presses and curls. I'm now regretting sharing with Jared my goals of alleviating underarm flab and my need to keep "the girls" perky. I think perky boobs and flab-free arms are so not worth this pain.



8:45- Paging Noah's mom to Kid's Club... uh-oh.. Jared is definitely not happy. Evidently in his world toddler poop can wait until after the workout. According to the saints in daycare- it can't.



Strike Three



8:55- Poop situation resolved... more looks of disdain. Jared has informed me that we have worked that muscle group enough and it's time to move on to abs and legs. He introduces me to the plank... it's official Jared hates me. He actually seems to be finding sick pleasure out of my personal pain... how can I tell? I see Jared smiling for the first and only time all session as he says, "Oh does that hurt- hold it a bit longer." Squats are actually a pleasant reprieve from the plank.



9:15- Well, Jared says we're cutting it short due to the time I spent with my son. Like I had a choice- we're talking some major poop people- it was an emergency.

Oh well. Jared sits me down and asks did I have fun? Uh no. Well, he says, do I at least agree that strength training is vital in achieving my overall goals? Sure. He then informs me that cardio alone will not help me lose all the weight. This is fascinating considering that while I was on the treadmill I made a mental note as to where all the skinny, healthy-looking people were. Were they downstairs with the trainers on the free weights? Oh no... they were upstairs on the cardio machines or heading to the step aerobics class.

The final straw though came when I was asked if I was willing to make my goals and health a priority over all else including my beloved cheeseburgers? How dare he use my burgers against me. Jared then tried to do cheeseburger math to prove that I could indeed afford his services. Exchange 4 cheeseburgers a week for a half hour session with Jared. I refrain from telling him how much more joy a cheeseburger would give me then the time spent with him. I just leave it at... I know how important your services are and I wish I could, but it was a huge financial and emotional step and decision for me to just join the gym and maybe in the future my situation might be different and at that point I would love and be honored to train with you, but for now I'm just not in that place. Basically, it's not you- it's me.

He finished with a short... don't worry about it, it's not like I'm hurting I got plenty of work... speaking of which here comes my next appointment. Have a nice day and good luck.



She's out of there- Game over folks...



Listen, I have nothing against Jared as a person per say, but I don't think he got me or my real goals. I also really don't think he cared to understand what I wanted. He had an agenda and that was to get me to sign up for training, whether I wanted it or not. You see I don't want to be the Hulk, nor do I plan on competing on top model... I just want to be healthy. My cardio classes and swimming I believe will get me there. Jared's all or nothing approach is very offsetting. What else was offsetting was his condescension and looks of disdain. For the record I had an inkling this is what was going to happen at my appointment, but I did go in hopeful to learn something. I think it might have gone better if LA Fitness would have profiled me a bit. I needed to meet with a fit mom. Someone who would inspire me and understand my particular challenges. Someone who was fun and down to earth, who could laugh at the poop and relate.



Note to Kristen(you know who you are): You are that girl and I think you would be very successful! You need to do it- you must become a trainer. You inspire me. I would have gladly given up some of the cheeseburgers for you!

3 comments:

  1. I hear you Tammy. I know what is like! Even when I was fit, I got the trainer looks and attitudes. If I go, I won't meet with a trainer. How much does it cost for the membership, and how's the kids club? I think my kids might be too old? 5 and 7?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen would be AWESOME you are right!

    Jared is a tool. I'll tell you my Jared story one day soon. He made me cry. :(

    LOL

    now looking back it's funny but back then I was MORTIFIED & never wanted to step foot in a gym again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Heather I am so sorry!!! I am intrigued by your Jared story... please share!

    Thias- it depends on the promotion that they are offering. I just got a flier in the mail for buy one get one free initiation. Childcare is typically $10 per child per month, but sometimes that's flexible too. Childcare goes up to age 12 I think.

    ReplyDelete